There are a number of key points to remember when using any herbal product as part of a healing program. These points include:
- Start slowly. Herbs are concentrated nutrition and many contain active principles. This means that you have what is known as a “cleansing reaction”. A good rule of thumb is to start with half the recommended dose and build up slowly.
- Drink plenty of water. If your herbs come in a capsulated form, it is very important to drink plenty of pure fresh water.
- If you experience discomfort at first, reduce your consumption of the formulas. You may find that you have a cleansing reaction which may be uncomfortable at first. Reduce your dosage and increase slowly as the cleansing reaction lessens. Do not allow diarrhoea or watery motions to continue for more than three days!
- Herbal formulas are food supplements, and should not be used as prolonged stimulants or sedatives. Always follow the directions of your health care provider.
- If you have been prescribed a particular combination of formulas, avoid adding more. Adding too many herbs too closely together can “confuse” the remedy. It is also important that you wait a few seconds before taking the next formula.
- Never combine prescription drugs and herbal formulas together. You should keep them at least one hour apart. You should also ensure that you inform your practitioner (both your medical doctor and medical herbalist) as to what prescription drugs you are taking.
- Never take cleansing herbs while pregnant (unless under strict supervision).
- Use your herbal program in the exact dose and time specified on your prescription. It is important that you allow at least ninety days for the formulations to work. After that time you may require a maintenance dose. Please discuss this with us.
- Always report any changes in health to your health care provider.
- Don’t overdo herbs or use them inappropriately. Your attitude and the decisions you make regarding your use of herbs ultimately affect their effectiveness. They are your allies and should be treated with kindness and respect.
- If in doubt, come and talk to us. Always seek proper medical advice about any medical condition you may have. If you have any doubts about your herbal prescription please come and talk to us.
- Store your remedies out of the sun. Very few formulas require refrigeration, but as a guide, store them out of the sun and below 30c. Expiry dates are written on the label.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are here to help.
Free online health test
Take our quick and easy free online health test, the Quick Start Program. Take the test
Make an appointment
Ask us about our products or make an appointment with one of our practitioners today. Contact us